Thursday 16 May 2013

Week 5: Creetown Flags







Corpen – (1) A maneuver of a formation of ships. In its simplest form, ships in a column turn in succession, each at the same point, akin to a column movement of marching men.


"What difference are you making?...

We’re sheltered from the world by Larg Hill and Cairns. For those of us who left - seeing those hills on the horizon lets us know that we’re nearly home - my brothers and sisters say the same....

‘The Crusher’ (the granite crushing plant) was an iconic landmark for us too – on our return we would always look out for it down on the shore.
Home...Shelter and Protection...
It’s hard for people to imagine Creetown with a harbour.... because the estuary has changed... it silted up over time. My family arrived in Creetown in 1856 and they were fishermen - Creetown was a fishing village.
In my view - Creetown’s greatest export throughout its history (...more than granite or anything else!) has been it’s labour.
Historically - much of the work Creetown had to offer was unskilled/manual labour.....and so there are generations of Creetonians who left this village to find other work...to make something of them-selves....
The work-shortage in Creetown has got worse - but to a certain extent, it has always been this way. I don’t think it will ever change - why would it?
I think economic revival is pie in the sky. I’ve seen the changes...... this is progress. It’s evolution and its progress........people develop and circumstances change. It has always been this way....
What would reverse the trend and keep young people here? I’m not sure....
Young people need role models to understand the world of work......
At one time Creetown had a strong work ethic ....... so a flag representing men and women in various working poses for example (like the old trade union/propaganda posters)......would be an historical view of Creetown.....
The last Creetown factory closed a few years ago  ..... it made concrete panels to build football stadiums and multi-storey carparks. In the end they were too far from the market and couldn’t survive.
It says something about the current labour market...that many of the jobs available locally are occupied by under 16’s.
... The Clock tower is another iconic landmark for Creetonians – it’s a defining and enduring symbol..... represented on the school badge..... and the football club, bowling club and Silver Band crests.
I suppose I’ve lived my life in a circle. I was born here and after years of working away – (in London and other places) - I wanted to come home, to a community where I’m seen as a person rather than a number.
I want to give something back – I worked for many years as a civil servant and have skills that are useful to people here...
What difference are you making?”


No comments:

Post a Comment